1) Who was the legendary Benedictine monk who invented champagne?
2) Which was Shakespeare’s most romantic play?
3) What kind of flowers are traditionally given to symbolize love?
4) What other gift sometimes accompanies a bouquet of red roses?
5) What was first created by Pope Gelasius in 500 AD, then deleted from the Roman Calendar of Saints by Pope Paul Vl in 1969?
6) ‘Valentine’ was the name given to which kind of early Christian?
7) According to the Legenda Aurea, or The Golden Legend, a fictional work written by Jacobus de Voragine around 1260 AD, who wrote the very first Valentine’s message on the eve of his execution?
8) Who did the fictional St Valentine send his message to?
9) What had St Valentine allegedly done for his jailer’s daughter?
10) What was this fictional St Valentine being executed for?
11) As well as being the unofficial patron saint of love, what occupation is St Valentine also believed to be the patron of?
12) Today we associate love with the heart, but this wasn’t always the case. In medieval times, which internal organ was believed to cause love?
13) A poem called The Parliament of Fowls, which describes a man’s dream of Cupid preparing his arrows in the Temple of Venus, is usually held to be the first cultural link between St Valentine and romance. Who wrote the poem?
14) In Japan, what do women give men on Valentine’s Day?
15) What is a Vinegar Valentine?